Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Public v. Private


The New Year is almost here . . . so I strongly encourage everybody to get in all the swearing and overeating you can in the next for days, because we're all gonna do better in January.

I've had several suggestion-type resolutions come to the old email, and I'm whittling towards a resolution and someone to work with.

One of the things that I'm most interested in finding out through this experimenting with other people's promises: resolutions, as with so many things in life, are a deeply personal mode of operation. Where some folks want to quit smoking cold turkey, others want to ween. Where some have a scientific weening, others ween by feel. From a different angle: where some folks want "to be in better shape," others want to run a nine-minute mile or benchpress their own body weight.

Of course, there have been group resolutions (I'm generalizing now, and I know it) for as long as there have been personal resolutions, and these have had their own pros and cons. Personally, I'm excited to see how this all pans out: the very private process of resolution butting up against the largely public product of the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment