Sunday, December 11, 2011

Last Year's Promises

"Another year of unfulfilled resolutions has passed. I wanted to run more this year. And write more. To be a better father and spouse. I wanted to cook more at home, learn more recipes, figure out the difference between cooking with butter and cooking with olive oil. I wanted to be a better friend and neighbor. I wanted to watch less television or, at least, better television. I wanted to read more or, again, at least, read more specifically. I wanted to write better lessons plans for better syllabi to help my students become better people."

I wrote that on New Year's Day this year, and it all still holds true, and, to some extent, I have done some of those things -- for instance, I watched The Sopranos, tv doesn't get any better than that. But I also realize that I often set huge, sweeping, general resolutions. The result is often that there's no real way of determining individually whether or not I have accomplished anything.

So any suggestions? Email me -- otherpeoplespromises@gmail.com -- and we'll see if we can make something happen. Whether you have a broad resolution -- for instance to become a better driver -- or something specific, we'll figure out the details as we go. If it's a limited time project or a lifelong project, we'll figure out the timeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment