Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hydration, Tally, and an Update from Dort Munder Proper

Here's an update from Dort Munder himself:

Jackson

So yesterday (Wed) I did another 35 minutes on the treadmill at Wellworks. I improved my rate, mainly by starting faster now that I’ve found a comfortable speed, to the 18 minute mile. So that is two points shaved off of Tuesday’s 20-minute mile. If my math is correct, within nine day I will be able to teleport myself instantly?

On a more serious note, I added a small incline to the tread mill, and managed to work up a medium sweat and good cardio level.  My legs are tired but not beaten.  I plan to take advantage of the sunshine these next two days and skip the gym, instead walking back and forth from home to school, which is actually 1.5 hours per day, but not brisk.  I may break out into a run at some point – we’ll see

Dort

I, of course, suggested that by next week, he'll be walking so fast, he'll be travelling back in time . . . Dort and I are both terribly funny amateur theoretical physicists -- have I mentioned that yet?

As for my serious note, this is fantastic -- at this point, we're still seeking a comfortable intensity such that we can make gains without causing injury. For anybody else interested in working out with us, I'm of the opinion that an hour and a half worth of walking will be enough of a work out for a day at this point. Later in the season, we'll see, but, again, no need to overdo it.

Also, a tip: I'm noticing my skin is becoming dry -- which is one of my indicators that I might be getting dehydrated. It took me a long time to realize how easily I dehydrate in the winter, but it happens easily when we're running in the cold, not noticing the sweat. We're living in the dry heat of our offices and homes. We're not drinking water to cool down. It happens easily this time of year . . . I'm not dermatologist, but do beware of dehydration -- it can be awful. Some signs: dry skin and lips, brown pee, headaches (I'm sure there are others, but, like I say, I'm not hydrologist).

Also I just wanted to say pee in these updates.

Two more quick things:

1. I hadn't anticipated this, but it seems to be working fine: I'll probably post Dort's workout's consistently the day after the workouts -- I think it might be overwhelming for him to get a status report over to me late each evening, and I'm certain it would be nerve-wracking for me to sit around awaiting such a note. I think it works fine anyway.

And

2. I just started keeping a running (Ha!) tally of my own running for the year, and, while my spouse refers to it as obsessive and weird, I like it.

Dort's "Running" Tally:
As of 04 January 2012

Days Running: 3
Minutes Run: 100

Make that 3 things:

3. As a long time runner, I consider each moment of these workouts "Running," as long as we're in motion. Runners do not, under any conditions, "jog" etc. If we sit to rest, rest is good, but, at this stage, what other folks might refer to as "walking," and what we might also report occasionally as walking, still logs as running.

Keep up the resolutions. If anybody has slipped, right yourself, hydrate yourself, sleep and unstress yourself, and get yourself back in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment