Monday, January 9, 2012

Entering Week Two

A series of events, including a computer crash, have prohibited my posting. I apologize to every body.

Dort has been in contact with me constantly, and, at this point, is into his second week of training. I've often felt as though the first two weeks of just about any new lifestyle (and especially working out) are the hardest. This space between an old and a new me is full of questions: can I do this? should I do this? what's going to happen? what's at stake? do I even want to do this?

And, of course, during these two weeks, when we're trying to establish a sustained, consistent effort, well, we are pounding a wedge into our normal daily routines. We have to figure out how much time we can dedicate to our resolution, when we might be able to find that time, and what's got to go for us to make this happen. Let's face it, none of us has more than 24 hours in a day, and while it might seem more difficult for a person who appears extremely busy to find space for that 45 minute wedge, all of us, even the laziest among us, have to give up something . . . even if it's an episode of our daily Dukes of Hazard rerun watching time.

Dort, for those of you who don't know, is of the variety of folks whose days are already packed. He does just about as much in any given day as any body I know -- that is, between work, family time, travel, professional development, etcetera, he does not have an easy 45 minutes to give up. But he's finding the time. One week down!

Dort and I are trying to work out the frequency of our communications and interactions, such that we keep each other sufficiently updated without overwhelming each others' inboxes. He'll be updating me about every third day or so. If something out of the ordinary should occur (if he gets hit by a meteorite upon his run, for instance), I'm certain he'll contact me immediately.

Here is an update from Dort, himself:
-          I eat too much.
-          I drink too much beer.
-          I get short of breath going up the steps in Ellis Hall. This may be asthma, but it feels crappy.
-          I’m looking at Zappos.com for Saucony running shoes. Clearly, I over-pronate.  Further advice, or should I just go for ones that look pretty?
-          I’ve just reached the point in my annual “get more fit” resolution where I would normally say “Oh my goodness, things have heated up so much at work, and the new hiring committee, and all of those applications to read, plus three writing deadlines.  I need to give something up  I know!  I’ll give up exercise for a few weeks.  I can use that time to catch up on my desk work”  But having to be answerable to you has already reaped a benefit, since I am too embarrassed to use that old excuse right now and need to keep showing will power. Peer pressure, even the gentle friendly peer pressure you exude, is a powerful thing.
So, as I say, Dort has pushed through this moment when normally the wedge simply no longer fits. These first two weeks are a pain in the ass, Dort, a royal pain. From my own personal experience and what I've seen in other folks, conventional ideas about reaching down and pushing hard and going the extra mile and "obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal" -- these ideas are great, but all good workout routines begin with a sustained, consistent effort. Developing a routine, creating a space in your life for this event, that is the first (perhaps most important) step of completing a resolution.

Way to go, Dort.

No comments:

Post a Comment