Monday, February 13, 2012

Upon His Return . . .

Me, personally, I've been injured and have had to take the past week off. The coming week doesn't look terribly likely either.

Dort Munder, on the other hand, is doing fantastic! Not only has he been maintaining the program, he's also taking steps (ha! a runner's pun) towards insuring that his resolution will last.

I'll note up front that Dort did about a week's worth of travel since the last post, including a trans-Atlantic flight -- not much room for working out on those planes -- and, of course, a second trans-Atlantic flight to get home. He missed two days of workout during his travels, but surely we will forgive him as he forgives himself . . .

And note: the important thing here is not that there were extenuating circumstances that barred Dort from working out -- the important thing, as I see it, is that he jumped back in with both feet as soon as he landed back on this side of the pond.

I visited Dort yesterday for a walk, which was of great benefit to me, because, as I say, my own workout schedule leaves me injured, so I've been whining about my condition, and Dort got me off my chair.

Lo! to my surprise, I found myself helping Dort put the finishing touches on his brand-new treadmill. Fantastic! In your face, harsh Appalachian foothill winters! It's a beauty. What a great way to continue the resolution. All of us resolved to workouts are certainly aware of the thousand things that can keep us from going to the gym or stopping by the gym on a snowy evening. Really.

Of course, not all of us can fit a treadmill into our lives, and we acknowledge that as well. The treadmill, rather is a metaphor for a continuing commitment to this resolution, to the workout, to the self-improvement inherent in this sustained, consistent effort.

Hazah! Halfway through February and maintaining. Best of luck to everyone out there who's sticking with their resolutions. Additional luck to those who might not have succeeded but are considering another go at it

No comments:

Post a Comment